The position is responsible for the management and administration of GPS-STEM (Graduate Professional Success in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), a professional development program for graduate students and postdocs in four Schools at UC Irvine (Biological Sciences, Medicine, Physical Sciences, Engineering).
● Coordination of all the program activities including career development workshops (industry and academic job sectors), mixers, industry site visits, and seminar series
● Work in collaboration with the program directors to develop, implement, research, and evaluate professional development programming both online and in-person.
● Help organize annual orientation event and the registration process for the program participants
● Support in building alumni network that will serve as mentors and speakers for a variety of events including online mentoring program
● Consult with program directors to invite speakers for the workshops, seminars, and mixers, and serve as the primary liaison with internship partners, local STEM based industry, and external contractors
● Record online and in-person career events, perform basic video editing and uploading on the program YouTube channel for career database purposes
● Work closely with the administrative staff to manage the program budget
● Maintain and update the program website to upload new activities and events
● Collect materials and prepare monthly newsletter for graduate students and postdocs
● In consultation with the directors of GPS-STEM and an Advisory Board, develop new program content to serve the evolving needs of our community of STEM trainees at UC Irvine.
● Assist the program to recruit and supervise a team of interns and assistants who will help administer different aspects of the program.
● Design and administer post-event evaluation surveys to assess effectiveness of the programming
● Attend national level meetings in the field of graduate and postdoctoral career and professional development e.g Graduate Career Consortium, National Postdoc Association
● Work with program Directors to write grant proposals for sustaining the overall program or specific components.
Applicants must have a PhD degree in a research discipline of science, technology, engineering, math or medicine with a/an
● Demonstrated skill and success in both oral and written communications with a broad array of constituents in person, through e-mail, formal letters, and via telephone in a concise, accurate and professional manner
● Demonstrated skills in leadership, extracurricular participation, and/or career planning and exploration leading to an interest in administrative leadership at an academic institution
● Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships, communicate effectively, identify problems, and develop solutions with supervisors, administrators, students, faculty, and the community
● Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently while meeting deadlines
● Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
● Ability to perform a variety of duties and work assignments in an environment of changing priorities
● Competency in using business software applications including MS Office, document sharing programs & online communication platforms
● Adept at using multimedia tools for organizing online career development events, recording
● Experienced at social media platforms e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn for promoting program events, seminars, job announcements & YouTube
● Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and security of records and documents.
Review of applications will begin on March 25, 2022, and the recruitment will remain open until filled. Qualified candidates should apply to the following on-line recruitment URL: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF07374
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.