The Nicholas lab in the department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at the University of California, Irvine invites applications for a specialist at junior or assistant level. We seek highly motivated applicants to help set-up a brand new ImmunoEndocrinology lab and conduct basic research. Our lab studies how the immune system interacts with metabolism and reproduction using a combination of molecular and cellular biology, transgenic mouse models, cytokine profiling, and flow cytometry. More information about our research can be found at https://faculty.sites.uci.edu/nicholaslab/
• A B.S. or higher in Biology or related degree
• At least one-year independent experience with standard molecular biology techniques (e.g. DNA/RNA extractions, PCR, qPCR, western blotting) in a research laboratory setting
• Comfortable working with laboratory mice
• Comfortable working with blood
• Attentive to details and have strong organizing skills
• Can work independently as well as collaboratively
• Experience with flow cytometry (sample preparation and data analysis)
• Experience breeding mice and genotyping
• Experience with tissue culture
Responsibilities of the position include:
• Setup and maintain laboratory equipment and inventory (including ordering supplies)
• Optimize and perform molecular and cellular biology experiments
• Maintain transgenic mouse colonies
• Assist projects of other members of the lab when necessary
• Help manage EH&S (Environmental Health and Safety) paperwork and inspections
Initial appointment is for one year with potential extension and/or renewal based on work performance and availability of funding support.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Inquiries about the position should be directed via email to Dr. Dequina Nicholas, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Procedure: Qualified candidates should submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references to the following on-line recruitment URL:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.