A postdoctoral fellow position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Dequina Nicholas in the Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry in the School of Biological Sciences at the University of California, Irvine. The Nicholas lab studies the intersection of nutrient environment, the immune system, and metabolic disease using a combination of molecular and cellular biology, transgenic mouse models, cytokine profiling, and flow cytometry. We are focused on disease models of type 2 diabetes and polycystic ovary syndrome. More information about our research can be found at https://faculty.sites.uci.edu/nicholaslab/
The ideal candidate should be self-motivated and a recent graduate with a PhD or MD/PhD degree with strong academic training in cell biology, immunology, metabolism, endocrinology, signaling or metabolic related diseases.
Areas of study available include:
1) Immune regulation of female reproduction
2) Lipid antigen presentation in type 2 diabetes
3) Links between inflammation and polycystic ovary syndrome
• Two publications in a PubMed indexed journal
• Research experience working with animals, flow cytometry, single cell sequencing / analysis is preferred but not required
• Proven track record of troubleshooting and problem solving
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance multiple projects in and bring projects to completion
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Willingness to learn new approaches and techniques
• Collaborative approach to science
For more information about this position, contact Dr. Dequina Nicholas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified candidates should submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references to the following on-line recruitment URL:
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
UCI provides excellent support for postdocs (https://grad.uci.edu/about-us/postdoctoral-scholars/), which includes the development of leadership and teaching skills, career development, and full benefits. Several childcare services are available on campus. UCI campus is located at a driving distance to Los Angeles and San Diego, and 15 minutes away from the ocean.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.